Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Mathematics Department at Minnesota

I find myself picking faults with our math department more and more as of late. Despite having taken a majority of the core undergraduate and graduate classes(Analysis,Complex Analysis,Algebra,etc...), I find myself missing the writing intensive requirement. This means I may very well have to take the 3283 class, which is a significant step down from the classes I am enrolled in now. Whose idea was it to impose this requirement on math majors? Why not make the 5000 Analysis sequence writing intensive? There is certainly a lot more (rigorous) writing taking place in both the Algebra and Analysis sequences.
Ideally one should be able to make a case for being exempt from such a requirement. This department has moved heavens to make sure a mathematics student can graduate without taking either Analysis or Algebra, yet is very adamant that every student(regardless of merit) be subject to the writing intensive course.
What is a student to do?

1 comment:

Robbie said...

I'm not sure if this applies for IT students as well, but the honors thesis is going to count for my upper division writing intensive requirement inside my major...